1953: Maungatua Contracting is founded by Murray Duncan as an agricultural contractor
1959: Murray went into partnership with his brother-in-law Murray Brundell, starting carrying out quarrying and rock crushing work for all the County Councils in Otago. With their portable crushing plant, they also moved up into the Central Otago and West Coast areas carrying out numerous crushing contracts for Ministry of Works and County Councils.
1974: Murray’s three sons Robert, Les and Colin were working for the business.
1975: One of main contractors responsible for the construction of the access road of the Treble Cone Ski Area. Having one of the few rock drilling rigs in the Otago, the company was called upon by Harliwich Earthmoving for their expertise in rock drilling and blasting.
1977: Murray Duncan and Murray Brundell ended their partnership, with Murray Brundell taking over the crushing plants as Otago Crushing Limited, and Murray Duncan the earthmoving equipment retaining the name Maungatua Contracting.
1978: Maungatua Contracting were responsible for five contracts for the re-construction of the Lindis Pass highway from 1978 through to 1982.
1982: Winner of N.Z. Contractors Federation Construction for the Lindis Pass re-alignment.
1983: Murray Duncan retired in the 1983, Robert, Les and Colin taking over the running of the business.
1986: Maungatua Contracting move their operations to Wanaka, continuing with subdivision work and ongoing work at Treble Cone.
1988: Robert Duncan took over sole ownership of the business.
2005: Robert's son Blair Duncan, civil engineer, joins the business.
2008: Robert's other son Kane Duncan, civil engineer, joins the business
2012: Blair Duncan wins the NZ Contractor's Federation Excavator Operator Championships at Fielding